Almost lost it at the end...

You may wonder why no pictures and no blog yesterday... well, let's just say, it's not easy to record while experiencing food poisoning, or the stomach flu, or whatever the heck that was!!!

The last night of recording, is always a push because it begins to set in that you don't get another chance at this. Everything and everyone are present and set up to get what you can in that moment, there's no tomorrow, or later if we don't get it now. Everyone flies back tomorrow, the instruments have to be returned, we have to break down the set up so church can happen at St. Stephens the next day... this it IT, even though we're all absolutely exhausted from 5 days straight of set up and recording. Really it's been a year long process to get this all to happen, with the pressure and the intensity only increasing as we got closer.

So there we are, the last night. Paul the cellist has been practically sight reading parts since he got them so late, so he's understandibly more exhausted than normal, our harpsichordist gets no breaks with the rest of us because everytime we break he has to re-tune the instrument, and Marguerite and I are not only singing, but making sure everyone has what they need to go on, stragizing left and right to pay for unforseen expenses, figuring how we're going to get everyone to the airport in two days, return instruments, and on and on. And we still have to sing pretty right to the end you know?

Well... we're half way through the session on Friday night and I start to get this funny feeling in my tummy. Now I'm not a nervous tummy kind of guy... so when my tummy goes off, it's inevitabely something awful like food poisoning. But I say to myself, "come on, not now, just one more session! You can't throw up!! You'll burn your vocal chords with stomach acid and sound like you know what for the whole last session!!!!"

Of course my stomach doesn't listen, so there I am, singing into the mics as best I can, but ready to do something else into a large pot I fetched from the kitchen. The interesting thing is, we got that last section in 3 takes, which is amazing. My producer said over the intercom, "you should have stomach trouble more often, that was great! We've got it, you're done!"

What a relief. To celebrate, I ran to the bathroom to burn my vocal chords. What a relief.

No pictures of that part, but I hope you enjoy the rest:)

2 comments:

Chris Alexander said...

Yikes! I know one must "suffer for their art", but that's usually in a more general lifestyle manner, and not actually performing while in severe physical discomfort.

Dana and I hope you feel better!

Catherine Vibert said...

Oh my god, that is gross Chris.
But YAY! I can't wait to hear the results.

Big congrats from your virgin Pergolesi partner...

Popular Posts