The Debut Of My First Choral Composition

On Easter Morning I will be conducting the debut of my very first choral composition with the One Heart Choir at the Center for Spiritual Living, Santa Rosa.  At all three services, 8:30 am, 10 am and 11:30 am (yes it's a very long day!) the choir will sing "Be Still..." my setting of the text "Be still and know that I am God."

I was inspired by a message I heard delivered by Rev. Kim Kaiser in which he used the text at the end of his message as a meditation.  He spoke the first word "Be" and then let silence follow.  Then he spoke "Be still" followed by silence, and then "Be still and..." followed by silence, etc.  As I listened, each time he added the next word, it added additional meaning to the phrase and I thought it should be a choral piece.

I went about setting the phrase to music using tonal clusters based on the Phrygian mode. At the first rehearsal some of the choir thought I was crazy and wondered if the the composition would work, but now you should hear them. And you can.  At Easter Service at the Center.  No entrance fee!





No comments:

Popular Posts